Tuesday, March 1, 2011

HIATUS - Illness got me down

Being a little personal for the moment...

It has been a while since I have posted. I have been under the weather due to being diagnosed with Graves Disease. I do not think the disease is the cause of my "under the weather" feeling...as I was not even aware of the problem. I did not have many of the symptoms...or if I did I just notched it up to getting "older". If anything, the medicine I am taking for the issue has made me feel blah even more.

Four weeks into being on medication and I get a severe cold. Now, not flu per se...at least that I was aware of. But, the doctor called it as sinusitis...meaning just a bunch of crud build up, that makes you feel crappy. I am on an antibiotic for it.

Now, of course, it should be over by now (going on 7 days)...but, back to my disease...or should I say the medicine itself... is what hurts. I am not generating enough white blood cells to smack it hard. While I was not on the medicine, one of the side effects of Graves is a TON of white blood cells...so many that they start attacking muscle and bone structure as they have nothing to attack otherwise (thus it has been a while since I have been sick with anything like this cold). Now, it feels like an eternity to get rid of a silly cold.

I miss feeling "good", and thus, I have not had it in me to write anything until today. Overall though, my focus is off. I want to write about how the Rift launch is going, what I perceive in it's success at this time, and of course chat about those idiots who feel they deserve the world from an MMO developer.

But, I can't muster the feeling to wrap up my thoughts cohesively. Basically, what you are reading now is just train of thought...so, I can share what has been happening.

According to the Doctors, I EVENTUALLY will feel better, as the disease was "supposedly" destroying me...yet, I wish I felt like I did the day before my diagnosis...as it was SO MUCH BETTER.

Guess time will tell. For now, bear with me, as I WILL get back to the game and writing some of that scathing commentary that keeps the kids happy...

You've been warned...

9 comments:

Rob said...

Really hope you start feeling better. I don't have any specific illness, but with two kids and a wife who is a school teacher, I get the germs of about 100 kids by proxy. Needless to say, I'm sick quite often with random crap.

Chip up, and keep on writing.

Longasc said...

While there is no real cure for Graves' disease yet there are several treatments to reduce the symptoms. Beta blockers, anti-thyroid medication and this radioactive iodine stuff that just reading about sounded scary.

I remember you were mostly having the rapid heart rate symptom. I hope they find soon a mix of beta blockers and anti-thyroid stuff that does not make you feel worse than before the treatment.

As I told you I know some people with Graves, and each gets treated differently and has different symptoms. They also told me they needed some time to find the proper therapy - one told me that only one beta blocker works for him, the others make him feel sick. I will ask him what gets.

Sharon said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, and hope you're feeling better soon!

rowanblaze said...

Man, that's tough. Looks treatable; finding the right combo is the trick though. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

*HUGS*

Please feel better soon, I know being ill is certainly no fun. If there's ever anything I can do to help don't hesitate to let me know!

Anonymous said...

Oog. No fun. Here's hoping you get well soon, without much fuss.

Sente said...

I'm sorry to hear about the disease, hopefully you will be able to feel better soon - and that it will stay that way.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon dude. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Good luck with it and hope you feel better. Nothing like meds that make you feel worse but it's only temporary.