Thursday, February 19, 2009

Darkfall - Firefighters in full force

These things go in cycles. From back during EQ2's launch, and the many issues associated with the game, to Vanguard and being tagged the worst launch and worst MMO, to Tabula Rasa, AoC as the most hated MMO...

And this week, an NDA lift makes Darkfall the target of many a blog and forum.

I posted several videos in awe of how bad it looks. Animations seem very 1997, as well as visual quality not being up to snuff.
But, as Tipa stated, she and many others play Everquest still, and enjoy themselves.

Anyways, these postings started the sirens, and along came the Firefighters....those who need to rage against any poster stating anything in the negative about the game...

Lets back up though...

First we do know the game is a mix of UO, Oblivion, EvE with open "sandbox" playstyle. This means to me FFA body looting, no objectives but to kill, with many hours of player downtime (due to population issues).

Of course, as has been noted quite "tersely" by Firefighter Jeff , maybe I have not played it. He would be right. So, how do I know if I want to play this game or not.

It all boils down to the sales material.

So, this is why the first bit of "advertising" for Darkfall equals fail. The presentation is not up to snuff, with huge landscapes of nothing (Vanguard), and the visual quality of an EQ wannabe.

So, what else could the game offer? I have not been sold yet. But, as has been noted, the Firefighters would rather rail against the poster of the blog, than present something more admirable or in some manner show how the game may be worth the look.

So far, all I do know is the game director is egotistical and believes the game is already ready to launch...even though the game is not having a "full" launch.
No sale there.
Ugly visuals, creaky animations, bad sound effects
No sale there.

So, for the many commenter who believes this is just a rail, why not tell me how it is then. NDA is gone, but all I see is defense, not reasons.

Usually when someone is defensive, they have something to hide...

Perfect example: Beauturkeys blog (and the particular blog post I linked here). He lets loose with an expletive epitaph of nerd rage that is highly amusing to read, seeing he is doing what he is railing against all other bloggers for doing.

But, guess what, this just turns me off from the game even more. That was not a normal firefighter approach...that just burned down all the Redwoods of California...not good firefighting there.

I digress. I do not know just how wonderful this game is, as I see more hate or rants than reasons. This just makes me want to avoid the game more. Not just because the GD is a dick or that the fans are dicks, or even that the haters are dicks...

Guess this just calls for a song now....until someone convinces me otherwise that Darkfall is worth the time or effort....enjoy


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect example: Beauturkeys blog (and the particular blog post I linked here). He lets loose with an expletive epitaph of nerd rage that is highly amusing to read, seeing he is doing what he is railing against all other bloggers for doing.

This is funny, to say the least.
I am a little unclear as to what you think I was trying to say. I will cover all bases:

1) "I like Darkfall, I am a fanboi." No, I was not saying this. Obviously the article was to deep for you to understand, but I was calling OUT the fanboi's that will be bitching in a few months when it comes out. They did it with AoC, WAR and many other games. You get that right?

2) " I let loose with nerd rage." True this. I told the whiners to stop whining. Yes, as I noted in the last lines of my blog, I am allowed one gripe against the gripers. So, how many times in a circle do you want to go?

So, clear it up for me...did you think I was defending this game? Did you think I was bashing those that bash it?

You are one of the bloggers I am talking to. Maybe that's why you don't see what I am saying.

But hey, maybe I'm catching what you are saying wrong.

Beau

Elementalistly said...

You are STILL being defensive..so I go back to the "Trying to hide something" quote?
Is it that you have felt this before after Vanguards release?

Unknown said...

First off, I am a firefighter IRL so good call!

All I know is who would have thought Beau's words would have been so prophetic. The day the nda is released we already have the word 'fail' being thrown around. Then Lum drops his gavel based on the same few minutes of youtube, and given his ex dev status I pretty much went into a Makers and Coke fueled comment rage spree.

Anonymous said...

"You are STILL being defensive..so I go back to the "Trying to hide something" quote?
Is it that you have felt this before after Vanguards release?"

Wait, I think you just mis-typed or something, but what in the hell? lol

Beau