I have tried to enjoy my time in the game, but several issues prevent me from enjoying the free 30 days I received.
Let me list some Pro's first.
- I like the dungeons and the quests once you enter.
- The combat is fast and fun (though weak right now)
- The models look 100 times better than LOTRO
- DX10 looks good and is smooth (the launcher though is another problem all together
But, something does not feel right
- No real atmosphere (Music is far and between not to mention boring as all get up, sound effects sound like tin cans hitting each other)
- Grouping is not fun due to the veterans being all for "race through and finish quickly" attitudes. Hardly any newbs to play with.
- Populations is quite small..I only saw one major group (3 others) and two other people playing from the amount of time I logged in
- I see no real need so far to use a skill...just smack, smack, smack and with combat being so frenetic and running around, with models sliding along the floor as they fight...it is unimmersive.
That last word says it all. Immersion is non-existent in this game....period. I do not feel like I am in another world when I start playing. WoW is even more immersive thanks to it's stylized look. AoC makes me feel like I am in the desert or snow capped mountains. Even some zones in EQ2 worked (but, also was not immersive...luckily they made up for it with a fun game inside the trappings)..
Also a point that DDO fails on.
It just does not feel fun!
Uninstall for the last time I guess
On list of NEVER to load again...Vanguard, LOTRO, DDO.
Next up....I bought myself a 9.99 copy of EQ2 Shadow Odyssey, so I will go back to EQ2 as a newbie for 30 days. Also, purchased a wireless headset for Vent for raiding in AoC while I was on my trip.
And finally bought a copy of Drakensang (even though it forces me to downgrade my PC to Vista from Win7...thats another story...)
Let the games begin, so I may protect myself from the UV Cancer Rays of the Sun..